Marooned On A Desert Island by Maco

The cruel sun beat down - it’s one malevolent eye unblinking, casting down its rays, encasing the vast sandy terrain and any form of life that may exist there in its unwavering, unrelenting inferno. As if this hellish landscape wasn’t torture enough, the sky was as clear as can be. Not a wisp of cloud in any direction as far as the eye could see to provide the shade I was desperately in need of to shelter me from these callous withering rays. 

With each step taken, sinking into the red searing sand of the devils playground; the air dry and hazy. My head, pounding. My breathing, erratic. My vision, beginning to blur. It felt like drowning in lava. My skin was so dry, feeling like it was being scraped by sand paper. The feeling of numbness, spreading to all parts of my body and my swollen tongue was just the icing on the cake.

The terrain was vast and seemed never-ending; only punctuated with the dark shadowy silhouettes of cactus, like great ghost ships across sandy waves. Strange how something that looks so beautiful could also be a bone dry, parched basin of endlessness and despair. The sheer immensity of it slowly etching itself into my brain, my only visual relief was seeing a lizard skittering across the sun baked sand. To be honest I think the desert is more confused than I am. 

During the day, the heat feels like standing in front of a fire breathing dragon. Come night time, the cold feels as if I’ve jumped into a frozen lake. It’s been days now without any food, water or shelter. I can feel myself gradually getting weaker and all hope of surviving this perilous journey slowly draining away.

Finally, after traversing aimlessly across the unforgiving landscape, my body finally surrendered and an overwhelming desire to give up and go to an eternal slumber washes over me; my will to live sapped away entirely. I lay on the ground watching what would be my last sunset. The massive ball of fire was yellow with hues of orange and then almost tangerine. It fused with the sky like concentrate dissolving in water. When the Sun finally vanished into the horizon, the desert wasteland glowed an eerie red.
                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                          -Maco

Author's Details:
Ig: the_wylde_oreo
Wattpad: _Armando_DeRiter_
Email: ryukyusato@gmail.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOUR PEN by Krypton

BEAUTY by Tichieđź’•

FEAR (monologue) by Maco